Come explore Trinidad’s highest waterfall with us on Saturday 25th August for #photowalktt12.
The Maracas Waterfall is almost 300 feet high. This is one of the more accessible waterfalls in Trinidad, an easy 30-minute walk, slightly uphill but not challenging at all.
We will be walking to the base of the waterfall. There is a hiking trail up to the top but we will not be doing that on this walk. That hiking trail is recommended for experienced hikers only – we definitely don’t fall into that category.
This walk is definitely for the nature lovers with lots of natural forestation.
Directions and Meeting Times
The waterfall is at the end of the Maracas St. Joseph Valley. From the Eastern Main Road it’s approximately a 30-35 minute drive.
** IMPORTANT ** Part of the Maracas Royal Road is currently closed for ongoing road work. The alternate route is below.
The route to Maracas St. Joseph starts at Curepe junction.
- Proceed north through the Curepe traffic lights onto Riverside Road (Royal Castle will be on your right if you’re facing north at the intersection)
- Riverside Road is winding but there are no turn offs. Follow it to the Maracas Royal Road.
- Turn right onto the Maracas Road (the Silver Bridge will be on your left)
- Follow the Maracas Road for about 15-20 minutes. Some of the landmarks you’ll pass:
- University of the Southern Caribbean (left)
- large Catholic Church (right)
- Police station on a slight hill (left) (almost there)
- Waterfall Road is on your right, less than 5 minutes past the police station
We will meet at the start of Waterfall Road for 9:45am and depart for the waterfall at 10:00am.
The drive along Waterfall Road is about 10 minutes. There are some scenic spots to stop – a couple pools in the river, and some cocoa trees.
There is space to park but please be sure to secure your vehicle and any valuables in your vehicle. If possible, we recommend car pooling to reduce the numbers of vehicles we go up with.
Coming to this photo walk? Let us know on our Facebook event page. Please follow @photowalktt or our Photo Walk T&T Facebook page for regular updates. Or use the contact form if you’d like to get in touch directly.
We look forward to seeing you there.